The fragrance of dumplings fills the air in mid summer.
Every rod is strung with what looks like flowers.
Learn how to make nutritious dumplings filled with wonderful ingredients at the comforts of your home.
Generally, there are 3 types of rice in making rice dumplings:
1. Huzhou dumplings
The glutinous rice is usually not fried, but boiled for 2 hours or more after soaking.
The method used to make Huzhou dumplings is simple. However, if done well, it is the best method to bring out the rice’s texture and fragrance. It is light, non-greasy and does not easily cause one to gain weight by eating it.
2. Taiwan Southern dumplings
The glutinous rice is fried till half-cooked before it is wrapped into the dumpling leaves and boiled in water for an hour till it is fully cook. The rice texture of this type of dumpling is generally well liked by most people.
3. Taiwan Northern dumplings
The glutinous rice is fried till fully cooked before wrapping it up with dumpling leaves and steam. The rice’s texture feels harder and is relatively greasier. Eating it would make one put on weight more easily. (For Northern dumplings, all that is needed is to steam the dumplings just before eating as the glutinous rice is already fully cooked).
《Method of making dumplings》
1kg Glutinous rice
100-200g Peanut or rice beans
20 pieces Mushroom
200g Dried radish
4 tablespoons Vegetable oil
5 tablespoons Soya sauce
2 tablespoons Oyster sauce
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Five spices powder
1 teaspoon Pepper
20 large dumpling leaves to make a bundle of 20 dumplings
1 roll pure cotton string (to tie the dumplings)
1) Soak the glutinous rice, chestnut, rice bean (or peanut) and mushroom for a few hours before draining it for use. Cut the chestnut and mushroom into half and put them into a pot to stew for 15 minutes over medium fire.
2) Wash the dried radish and fry it till it is fragrant using 1 tablespoon of oil.
3) Light the stove with oil and fry all the ingredients in (1) then add in 1 cup of the mushroom stock. Fry till the stock has been soaked up by the ingredients.
4) Use 2 pieces of dumpling leaves and fold it into a tube shape (pointed edge to face downwards). Spread thinly a spoonful of glutinous rice, put in a variety of fillings and spread two spoons of glutinous rice to cover the fillings.
5) With your left hand holding the dumpling in between your thumb and fingers, use your right hand to fold the leave inwards then fasten with the string. (Pls refer to the video for details)
6) After the water has boiled, put the dumplings into the pot and boil the dumplings for about 1 hour using high fire. The dumplings should be immersed in the water. Do top up with boiling water during the cooking process instead of cold water.
Things to note:
1) Long-grained glutinous rice is harder as compared to the round-grained ones. Choose the type of glutinous rice based on your preference.
2) Different types of leaves are used for the different types of dumplings. Ask the shop selling the leaves before buying.